Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Introducing Operation 500


In a fit of spontaneity and facing a year of change in 2019, I have decided to embark upon Operation 500. My head told me to embark on Operation 450, but my heart took control and decided that I needed to set myself a tougher challenge. What is Operation 500? I’m so very glad you asked, thus making this post worthwhile. Allow me to elaborate.

During my visit back home to the UK in December 2018 I observed my 397th to 401st life birds[1]. I had already intended to challenge myself to bird more consistently in 2019 but only in vague terms. I have now solidified said vagueness into a definitive and potentially challenging target of reaching 500 on my eBird life list.

I think it is important to explain at this point why I want to take on this challenge. For a number of years, I have tended towards staying indoors, selecting the allure of video games over the Great Outdoors. While I think there is great merit to gaming as a hobby and it can be a beneficial outlet, it has probably not helped with my increasingly poor fitness and overall conditioning. I began a desk job just over nine years ago and have gained sixty pounds[2] over that time. So birding serves many purposes, but an increase in well-being both inside and out as well as the general enjoyment of watching birds seems like plenty to be going on with.

When I first considered this idea, it was mostly to try increase my presence and bird count within the Duval County birding community as well as visiting more of Florida. That plan remains the same, but by increasing my target to 500, there is almost no way I can achieve that goal without venturing outside of both the UK and the east coast of the US. I need to go where no Phil[3] has gone before.

I’m not exactly sure where else I will go this year, but I currently drawn to traveling out west, maybe to Texas? Time will tell. I don’t have to have it all figured out just yet – but I am looking forward to seeing more of the US and more of the birds of the US.

So that’s Operation 500. I know the name is trite, but I don’t care. I am a cheesy person and if that’s not your thing you may need to consider reading a different birding blog. I can heartily recommend Olaf Danielson and Jamie Adams. Both are students of the hobby and have sought to encourage other birders through their own experiences. If my blog encourages others or generates any additional interest in birds and birding, then I will consider it a great success.

Phil at Little Talbot SP, Dvual County, Florida




[1] It is worth noting at this time that these numbers are based on my eBird recordings and not an actual life list. Much to my sadness, I do not have records for every bird I have seen in my life and as such my real life list should be higher than 401, although exactly what it should be I am unsure. Also, for the curious, those birds were Water Rail (albeit only heard) and Great Spotted Woodpecker. 
[2] Sixty pounds translates to 4st 4lb for those reading along in English, or 27.2kg for those who only speak metric. While not an insurmountable amount to lose, a change of lifestyle is necessary - getting out and birding more will definitely help in that respect. 
[3]Obviously other Phils have gone to and indeed live all over the world – don’t bother pointing out the silliness of this point. Clearly I am referring specifically to one particular Phil, the author of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment